Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mr. Chamberlain's Dear Kaia

This blog started because of a book named "The Child in the Woods." It was about a father trying to reconnect his daughter to the world she lived in. He not only connected her to her surroundings, but basically to the whole world. A school from Missouri was viewing Kaia's life.

A blog site allowed kids to connect with Kaia from across the world. This just shows how far technology has come. Not only can you share information with people in your city, state, or country, but you can share information with people all across the world. Kids are now learning from technology instead of boring text books. The kids were even able communicate with Kaia's father using skype which I am now beginning to use. I believe skype can be a useful tool, but to be honest I feel uncomfortable using it. The information these kids obtained from this blog was something that you couldn't do without technology.

Like I have stated in several post, the world of technology is changing everyday and it is making a huge impact on the way students learn. I never really realized that you could look at blogs from across the entire world. The comment for kids and Dear Kaia has opened my eyes to a new way of learning and helping others.

2 comments:

  1. Here are two posts you need to read. They may help you with you being uncomfortable with skype. To be honest, I dislike talking on the phone and skyping causes me to break out in a sweat. On the other hand, both are necessary for me to take care of my business. While I will always be uncomfortable with skyping, I will continue to do it because the benefits outweigh the discomfort.

    Mr. C

    http://teachernz.edublogs.org/2009/04/20/talking-the-talk/

    http://attheteachersdesk.blogspot.com/2009/09/gettig-over-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, once I had signed up for skype it steps you through everything. It is going to take a little bit of getting used to though....good post! See you in class maybe we can work on skype-ing!

    ReplyDelete