Sunday, September 27, 2009

Wikipedia

Wikipedia is usually the first source that comes up on a search. The NPR article on Wikipedia states that it's usually the first source to come up but it's a free encyclopedia that anyone can edit and it is not fact-checked. I can recall many of my english teachers telling us basically the same statement as the article states. Many of my teachers have said not to use Wikipedia as a source for papers and projects and some have said if you do choose to use Wikipedia you will get a automatic failing grade.

The example they used about walmart shows how unreliable Wikipedia really is. Common since should tell you that wages at Walmart aren't 20 percent less than other stores. Many companies such as Walmart and Diebold have been known to change information just to make their companies look a little better. All of this information shows why many teachers will not except projects and papers with information used as sources from Wikipedia. In my opinion Wikipedia is based off of false information that comes from other peoples opinions.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... "In my opinion Wikipedia is based off of false information that comes from other peoples opinions."

    I think you need to do some more research. You may be right in a few cases, but for the most part I think your broad statement is very wrong. What you need to do, is read articles on Wikipedia, just as on every other website or book or newspaper or whatever, with a critical eye. Look at the sources, make up your mind if they can be trusted or not. (Which of course isn't always easy, but that's life.)

    No encyclopedia of any kind should be used as official sources for school work. But if nothing else, you can look into the external links and sources for the Wikipedia articles, and use them as your sources if they seem reliable and have the information you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know for me Wickipedia has helped me tremendously. It is an easy way to find information. Back in my day, I had to go to the library and read directly from the encyclopedia. I agree with Blue elf that wikipedia should not be used a source, but can be used to help you find other sources.

    ReplyDelete