Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sir KenRobinson

I believe his speech was absolutely correct. I’ve had a couple of teachers in the past that don’t expect everything to be correct and perfect. Some believe you have to make mistakes to get better, but most of my teachers are in the category that he explains in his speech. An education system that expects no mistakes leads students to believe that if they make mistakes in life then they can’t be creative and successful. I think it’s fair to say that this is true about me. I find myself doing projects that I believe have to be error free to have an impact on what I’m trying to accomplish. I agree with him when he said that the education system focuses entirely too much on math and language. Over the years our schools have turned away from some of the things that our student’s feel are important an interesting to them. I believe that math and language are really important in our everyday life, but not to the extent that we as students are forced to learn.

“Sir Ken Robinson stated that college degrees aren’t worth anything.” This is true to a certain extent. I no at least 10 to 12 people that spent four to five years getting their degrees, but can’t get jobs for those degrees that they received. This probably wouldn’t have happened 30 years ago. Hopefully in the future some of the things he said about needing more art and dance classes in our schools will be emerging and maybe our school systems want be all about doing mistake free work.

No comments:

Post a Comment